Winter melon soups are popular in the summer. With the right cooking technique, the melon tastes fresh and sweet and the meatballs stay tender.
Winter melons help move water through the body. In Chinese medicine, they are believed to detoxify and clear the body of internal heat.
- 750g winter melon
- 100g asparagus
- 100g shrimp
- 200g meatballs
- 5g ginger
- 2g salt
- 2g white pepper powder
- 15mL cooking wine
- Put the shrimp in a bowl with salt, cooking wine and white pepper powder and marinate for 10 minutes. Cut the asparagus into segments. Shred the ginger. Peel the winter and cut it into thin slices.
- Heat the pot with some oil. Add shredded ginger and stir fry until fragrant. Add the shrimp and meatball, then remove them to a clean bowl when the shrimp changes color.
- Use the rest of the oil to stir-fry the winter melon.
- Add 1.5L pure water. Cover with a lid and boil for 15 minutes.
- Return the meatballs to the soup. Add the asparagus segments and cook.
- Add the partly cooked shrimp to the soup and allow them to finish cooking. Season with salt and white pepper powder.
- Cover with a lid and boil for 5 minutes. Transfer to the serving bowls.
Caution: Both shrimp and meatballs are difficult to cook. Remember to check if they are cooked on the inside. It’s especially important that the meatballs are completely cooked.